Friday, January 10, 2014

Annual Report for 2013—1st Year of Elected Term 2013 / 2014


Annual Report for 2013—1st Year of Elected Term 2013 / 2014
Muskegon County Commissioner Susie Hughes
District 3—Muskegon Charter Township

 
I appreciate the faith the residents of Muskegon Charter Township placed in me when they elected me to represent them on the Muskegon County Board of Commissioners. I have tried to represent our township, our county and you to the best of my ability. I have relied on your input, guidance, recommendations and the great leadership from the elected officials that represent Muskegon Charter Township on their board.

This is my first year annual report to you, my employer. It provides a summary the things that my job as county commissioner for you entailed and some of the highlights from the county board during 2013.

 Sincerely,
County Commissioner Susie Hughes
231-343-4092
commissionersusie@comcast.net 

2013 Annual Report

In an effort to better serve you, before I took office I attended the New Commissioner Workshop in Kalamazoo hosted by the Michigan Association of Counties, and I toured each department of the county to see what each one does and how they work.

I was sworn in on January 3, 2013.

As your elected County Commissioner I serve on:

Muskegon County Board of Commissioners              Attended 24 Meetings

Transportation Committee                                          Attended 12 Meetings

Courts and Public Safety Committee—Vice Chair    Attended 12 Meetings

Human Services Committee                                       Attended 12 Meetings

Ways and Means Committee                                      Attended 24 Meetings

Community Resources Committee                             Attended 12 Meetings

 
I was also appointed to:

Public Works Board                                                    Attended 11 Meetings
I missed 1 meeting (excused) to present a resolution to the retiring head of Love Inc from the County Board .

Muskegon County Regional Water System Policy Board—Vice Chair   Attended 10 meeting (all)

West Michigan Shoreline Regional Development Commission (WMSRDC)
            I attended all of the 2013 meeting one held in each of the member counties of, Newaygo,
           Mason, Lake, Oceana and 2 meetings in Muskegon.

Muskegon/Northern Ottawa County Transportation Policy Committee—I attended all of the 2013 meetings.

SMART Committee (Southwest Michigan Alliance Region Three)
Where the counties of Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Eaton, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Ionia, Ottawa, St Joseph and VanBuren share ideas, successes and failures with other counties. I attended all the meetings in the various Counties.

As Muskegon Township’s representative at the county level, I attended all but one of the 2013 Muskegon Township board meetings held twice a month, and 10 of the Muskegon Township Parks and Recreation Meetings.

As your representative I joined many area residents at the Muskegon Area Wide Planning meetings hosted by WMSRDC. The meetings were held on 5 evenings around the county. MCC hosted issues on natural resources and environment, Moss Ridge - economy and jobs, Norton Shores Library –land use and growth, MATS building—infrastructure and the White Lake Community Library hosted the quality of life.

I consulted with our township officials after reading all 418 pages of the 2014 Muskegon county budget and asked many questions of department heads, and the finance director before it was passed. I also reviewed all 3,200 plus pages of the accounts payable for 2013. After meeting with department heads, asking questions, and discussing options several of the departments are working on projects that will combine services, save money and even have the possibility to make money for the county.

In an effort answer more of your most often ask questions, I visited all of the county parks and created a program that is now on the county parks webpage promoting the parks. I also worked on the committee to bring the first FREE county parks day to the Muskegon residents and spent the day at Pioneer Park welcoming and introducing people to the park.

I was invited to attend and have continued attending the Bear Creek Watershed and the Muskegon Lake Watershed Partnership meetings as both of these involve waterways that flow thru Muskegon Township.

The Fred Meijer Berry Junction Rail Trail has begun monthly meetings as the trail is now entering the final phase thru Muskegon Township that will connect it from the Hart-Montague Trail to the Musketawa Trail. As your representative at the county level I attend most of those meetings as some of the grant monies are held at the county level.

The township supervisors meet monthly with all of the county officials that represent them, as well as the road commission, consumers power and others interested in township issues and ways to help and resolve issues effecting them. This has been very productive in sharing ways to consolidate and co-op county and township services and departments.

Township officials, county commissioners and volunteers joined efforts for a free Township tire recycling day held at Laketon Township. We collected over 6,000 old tires to be recycled at no charge to township residents.

Muskegon County hosted a free shredding day at the county building for sensitive papers in the spring and a recycling event for hazardous waste in the fall. They were both a success and are in the plan for 2014.

 A ground breaking for the Black Creek Filter Marsh at the wastewater was held in April. It will help restore water quality all the way to Mona Lake. I have followed the project all year long as Black Creek makes a long trip thru Muskegon Township. The progress is making remarkable strides and should be flowing at full strength in 2014.

I represented the County at Backpack Days at the Holton Community Center, and at the 50th anniversary of Johnson Tech/GE Aviation. In Muskegon Township I have been active with our own county facility located in Muskegon Township, Brookhaven Medical Care Facility. I volunteered at their ice cream social and the community Halloween party. December 30th I joined the presentation to Dr Grasman of a resolution of appreciation for his 46 years of service as medical director of Brookhaven. I worked with Muskegon Township Supervisor Dave Kieft Jr to re-open a decades closed and over grown county park in Muskegon Township. Fairchild Park, behind Brookhaven and Pine Grove Manor, will open to county residents this spring with a ribbon cutting ceremony. The park will include new donated benches and flowers.

As vice chair of the Muskegon County Regional Water System Policy Board I was excited with the decision to adopt a new water connection charge schedule with a business friendly option of a 15 year pay-off. This is a big step in promoting new jobs and business growth in our township and our county.

The county MATS system established designated bus stops, but did not place benches at Muskegon Township’s Apple and Quarterline intersection, a busy 2 stop location. I donated a bench for both stops as a way to give back to the township residents that I represent. I also donated a bench for the new shopper shuttle stop at Arlingtion Estates where I have been attending the Neighborhood Watch meetings.

At the United Way Day of Caring I joined the many volunteers and worked at Wesley Park in Muskegon Township and at the Muskegon County Fairgrounds.

County commissioners met with the Muskegon Astrological Society, the Muskegon Area Rocketry and the Port City Radio Controlled Airplane Club located at the county wastewater site to help promote their events thru the visitors bureau and encourage a youth mentoring program with the groups.

As your representative I attended many area meetings on hot topic issues like Smart Meters, Fracking, Complete Streets, Public Access, Port of Muskegon, Zephyr Cleanup, BC Cobb Plant closing and more to keep myself as informed as possible. I have passed the information on to you through my face book page and used it many times as those issues came before the county throughout the year.

I personally stopped by and welcomed new businesses to Muskegon Township and delivered information on how to become a preferred vendor with the county. I make every effort to make sure local businesses are notified when bids are requested for services or products they are able to provide.

All of these things and more are a part of the job you hired me to do.

I know I am getting long, but I must tell you I love working for you. I have a new found love for many things in our county, but I still see plenty of room for some needed change.

Many positive things have happened on the county board this year. We now receive a list of ALL the bidders on a project or purchase, previously we only got a recommendation for whoever the department head wanted and many times no bid was even requested. Bids and full disclosure of all bidders is now given to the commissioners and our decisions are made with all the information in front of us. The commissioners now get a copy of all contracts and leases before they are signed. Changes have been requested and made to contracts and leases this year that have the potential to save and protect the county for years to come.

No, I do not like all the things that happen in our county, but I have found that for many reasons beyond my control some things cannot be changed. But I have also found that some of those things can be turned into positives without much effort, and I will concentrate on that.

I have also found that there are many, many reason to be very proud of the great county we live in and I hope to be able to share and promote those things to the best advantage of Muskegon Township and Muskegon Township residents for the remainder of my term.

I have just finished my 12th community outreach breakfast held at Mr B’s Pancake House on Apple Ave the 1st Tuesday of every month with Muskegon Township Supervisor Dave Kieft Jr.

We will continue this in 2014. Please join us with your ideas for promoting our community.

I appreciate all the calls, letters, emails and comments on my face book with your ideas, suggestions and direction. I will continue to use my face book page to update you on county meetings, events and issues that have local interest or local impact. Please continue to provide me direction so that I may continue to represent you and our township interest on the County Board of Commissioners.

Muskegon County Commissioner Susie Hughes
District 3—Muskegon Charter Township
2013 Annual Report Complied 12-31-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment